[hand painted drawer knobs from allsquaredup]
Hello all!! After a two week break I am more than ready to get back on the blog roll! School is over and my summer has started off way better than I could have expected. Maybe a little too good considering my extended absence even??
I'm really eager to share this particular topic w/ you today: drawer knobs.
We've all wanted to spruce up our dressers with fun little knobs and pulls, right? Well, my roommate searched around countless stores today to find that perfect set of drawer knobs. When she came home empty handed I thought there must be an alternative when you can't find exactly what you're looking for. Of course everyone is drawn to the fun and colorful knobs from Anthropologie, but when you can't pay $8-$12 each for the right set of knobs you have to resort to something else.
How about making your own?
Thus my search began...Here are my top three picks:
1. Get creative and embellish your own.
- This could involve painting (as seen above)
- Creatively scratch out a pattern on a metal knob
- Using a wood burner, burn a design on to a wooden knob
- With hot glue, attach buttons, jewels, stones, small pieces of broken glass, etc.
- String beads, shells, etc. onto wire and wrap wire around the pull
- for wire wrapped handles, the longer the better
- for jewled knobs, stones/jewels will adhere better to flat or indented surfaces
2. Use stones and a drawer pull to create a natural and earthy look.
- you could also use large gems or other small objects
Care2 shows what you need and how to do it:
- sand the drawer pull and attach the stone with hot glue or gorilla glue
3. Craft your own using Polymer clay
You can mold any shape you want! Mold the clay around a plain knob making sure to avoid the the area where the screw is connected. Decorate/mold how you want and then bake according to the directions on the packaging.
Hopefully, this will inspire my roommate and all of you to not lose hope when you can't find what you're looking for! The boring or too expensive should not get in your way. Sit down, give yourself some credit, make a game plan, and get creative!!